Packed with exhibitors and a schedule full of workshops, panel discussions and sponsored parties, TechWeek Chicago proved to be a valuable experience for techies, entrepreneurs and those who just like to be “in the know” of the tech world. Check this list of tips that I gained during my first TechWeek experience:
1. Choose your social circles wisely. During the “Future of Fashion” panel, there was a lot of discussion regarding the impact the digital sphere is having on retail and the fashion industry. But let’s take it one step further. Social media and mobile devices are adding a completely new realm to the retail experience. Not only will our social media friends give us a “thumbs up” regarding a potential new clothing purchase, we will also be scrolling through our news feeds looking for recommendations on the best pair of running shoes to purchase.
2. Find your stick-to-it-tive-ness. CEO, Michael Small of GoGo Air urged start-ups and entrepreneurs to be persistent when it comes to building their businesses. Having an attitude of resolve & tenacity is key when looking to achieve success in anything. STICK.TO.IT!
3. Sometime going off your planned path can prove to be beneficial. My Thursday schedule went a little something like this: “Managing Social Media in the 21st Century”, “Obtain the Funding to Realize Your Vision” and “The Future of Fashion”. Somewhere between getting from session A to session B, I ended up in a session called “What do the Queen, Jesus and Technology Have in Common”. The presentation was impressive and when over, I had a new outlook on technology and how it is impacting us as humans. So be flexible, you never know what you can learn and how you may be able to use that information in the future.
4. Fine tune your skills, be aware of your weaknesses and understand your opportunities. According to Howard Tullman, CEO of 1871, by 2020 42% of the American workforce will be working for themselves. How exciting! Sounds like there will be quite a few of us walking away from the hum drum of corporate life and becoming creative in terms of how we make our ‘dough’. Take advantage of the time you have now and prepare for your future.
5. Take a few minutes to truly connect with others. Conferences are great places for you to enhance your professional tool kits; however they are also ideal for building your network. Think of it! A room full of really interesting, hip individuals who understand your ‘special’ language. If time permits, go a little further than just passing out your business card. Slip away for a sip of wine or grab tea, whatever your passion, but use the time to connect with individuals on a more meaningful level.
TechWeek was full of energy and excitement that I am sure left an impression on all who attended. So whatever your ‘thing’ is, continue to innovate, disrupt and blaze a path unforeseen!
Looking for something sexy to do tonight with your main squeeze?
Follow @Jettaset on Twitter (or, if you already follow us, just give a #jettasetting shout out) for a chance to win tickets to Cuban Pianist Aruan Ortiz‘s performance TONIGHT at 8pm at the Beverly Arts Center in Chicago.
Also be sure to sign up on this site for more fun, insider information, surprises…and other fabulocity! Winners will be announced on Twitter by 5pm!
Here is a little peek at the sizzle he will be bringing:
Ever had a photo shoot done? There is nothing like it…especially when you have a photographer that can capture your personal brand of fabulous. Below is video of the Spring $25 Head Shot Party – hope to see you at the one on 8/16! You (and your brand) deserve it!
To RSVP for the next $25 Head Shot Party CLICK HERE
Head shots can be super expensive ($300 and up), but we ALL need them for our social profiles (like LinkedIn), dating sites, inclusion on flyers, and other professional and social reasons. Sometimes #selfies just don’t cut it.
Be sure to bring your fab (and fully moisturized or made-up) face and winning smile.
Must RSVP to guarantee admittance and $25 pricing.
Space is limited, and this is the last $25 Head Shot Party for Chicago this year.
From ESSENCE Music Festival, to bacon bourbon, to baller trucks (and everything in between), New Orleans has fun covered…and Jettasetting has the pics to prove it.
Photos of notables were taken by celebrity photographer Bennett Raglin of BP Photography who travels the world taking sizzling pics that can be seen in media outlets like Rolling Stone, Elle Magazine, People Magazine…and now, Jettasetting!
I had the opportunity to spend some time with the founders of Powerhouse Productions, Rochelle Brown and Sonia Armstead, and attend their celebration of being in business for more than a decade they hosted in New Orleans. I’d not had the pleasure of seeing them together (except for a brief hug on the streets of DC at Obama’s first inauguration) since we worked on the wildly successful Tyson Foods /Feeding America project with celebrity Chef G. Garvin, so I was excited to see the team!
The need for good bubbly never stops.
You may not have the money for, or the inclination to splurge on, a bottle of 1995 Charles Heidsieck Blanc des Millénaires ($150) or even the Veuve Clicquot Brut Yellow Label ($42). It’s like that sometimes. No worries; here are six of my favorite bubbly alternatives under $20 (some under $10) that are yummy and you can feel good about bringing to ANY party (even to that friend’s house who traveled all over Europe for a year sipping wine ):
Those who partied with us over the holidays had the chance to taste Auchentoshan Single Malt Scotch Whisky – and people are still texting me asking how to drink it…or for cocktail ideas. Auchentoshan triple distills every single drop (which is unique) – and there is no wrong way to enjoy it.
NYC and Chicago, you are not alone in the battle of snow. December also gave Jerusalem some snow shade – and my fave Israel tour guide and history sherpa Ofir Jacobson, PhD, sent me some pics of the “once-in-a-century” storm, deemed thusly by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. Interesting how snow can be both fun and fraught with drama.
Currently, Jerusalem is back up to 40+ degrees – but winter CLEARLY is a fickle mistress…so they may want to keep their gloves and shovels handy. Trust. I threw in some Chi and NYC pics in the slide show as we are snow sister cities…
Jettasetting Weekend: Chicago Gourmet, presented by Bon Appétit, Sept. 27-29 (yes, there are still tickets, but..)
This is going to be super YUMMY!
A true foodie fête, Chicago Gourmet, presented by Bon Appétit, is a true celebration of food and wine showcasing more than 100 of Chicago’s finest restaurants and chefs, as well as hundreds of renowned vintners, spirit makers, and premium breweries from around the world.